Wilson’s Glide is tennis’ biggest shoe innovation in years
We wrote up the new Wilson Glide tennis shoe last fall when it was first announced but wanted to share this video that really shows how this groundbreaking new shoe works in action. This shoe is one of tennis’ the most exciting gear innovations in years.
Sliding on hard courts – something only youthful bodies could withstand – just got easier.
Check it out below:
“The Glide is a completely new type of performance tennis shoe and is a direct reflection of how the speed of the game has changed, said Hans-Martin Reh, General Manager of Racquet Sports. “In studying how players use sliding, particularly younger players, it was clear current performance tennis shoes are not designed to protect the athlete and accentuate the sliding movement. We knew that if we could develop a way to do both, we had the opportunity to revolutionize tennis footwear and provide our athletes with a new level of speed and efficiency not previously available.”
The shoe, which took Wilson Labs footwear engineers, materials experts and designers four years to develop, has been designed to allow players to precisely control forward and lateral slides on hard court surfaces. In play-testing, the Glide enhanced players’ natural speed, agility and quickness to command shots on the run, even stretched out wide shots.
- Glide plates, made from polyethalyne technology, have been strategically sized and placed to allow for optimal slide when a player needs it the most.
- The best performing, high traction and durable rubber Duralast® provides the ideal amount of traction to help athletes explode to the ball once their slide is complete. These technologies also increases the overall life of the shoe.
- Rubber reinforced toe and inner drag pads offer a second wall of protection during lateral and forward sliding for increased durability.
- A very low-to-the-ground heel drop (6mm) along with Dynamic Fit™ (DF1™) provide players with improved feel and control.
- Endofit™ tongue provides an intuitive, comfortable fit and added stability.
Awesome new addition to the tennis gear landscape. Our knees are truly thankful.
The Wilson Glide will be available on market shortly. A blue and red version has been quietly available at select tennis academies around the US . An orange and black version is next up with full national availability.