New Nike T, Shoes Celebrate Rafael Nadal: French Open Champ10n!
This spring, Rafael Nadal has once again shown he is the greatest clay court player of all time. First he won his 10th Monte Carlo Masters. He followed that with titles in Madrid and Barcelona. Now, he has further cemented his legacy as The Clay GOAT, by demolishing 2015 Roland Garros champion Stan Wawrinka 6-2, 6-3, 6-1 to win his 10th title in Paris. He didn’t lose a set in the entire tournament, and just 35 games TOTAL. He has now passed Pete Sampras on the all-time Slam list with 15.
Appreciate this talent while you can- as is the case with Roger Federer, we likely won’t ever see such a player again. If you want to check out Rafa’s gear, we can help, no? Find it: TW/USA • TW/Europe
— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) June 11, 2017
Look at some of these numbers, c/o Nike:
• This was his 13th time competing for the title in Paris
• He first won in 2005, at the age of 19, which was also his first year playing in the tournament
• He won all five men’s singles titles from 2010 to 2014 (the record)
• He earned a 39-match winning streak between the first round in 2010 and the quarter-finals in 2015 (another record)
• He holds the men’s singles record with 79 total match wins
• He has only been beaten three times on clay in Paris
• He remains undefeated in the finals
• Rafa has played 56 matches on Centre Court, another men’s singles record
• With 15 major titles, Rafa is the second most decorated men’s tennis player of all time — 10 of his 15 titles have been won in Paris
• The inseam of his shorts has gone from 18 inches to four inches over the years of victory
If you’ll remember, Nike was quick to roll out a commemorative shirt when Federer defeated Nadal at the Australian in January. Same deal here. Nike is rolling out these commemorative French Open “X” shirts, and these NikeCourt Tennis Classic El Decimo shoes, June 12 exclusively at Nike Paris Champs-Élysées. However, we located this 100% cotton shirt at Tennis Warehouse. It comes in white only, and you get a nice simulated clay effect on the back that you won’t need to wash out. Find it: TW/USA • TW/Europe
This shoe’s just for casual wear, not on the court. Nice suede upper with an embroidered X. Makes you wonder where all the shirt and shoe inventory would be if Stan scored the upset on Sunday, ya know?
*Roland Garros photo by @bbctennis